Friday, September 28, 2007

Robots on the phone


I detest it when I'm in a foul mood and call shops that have either answering machines or humanoids (humans talking like robots, per my definition, though more accurately, androids like in the picture, from http://images.google.com.ph/imgres?imgurl=http://techepics.com/files/repliee.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/repliee-q1expo-female-android&h=210&w=390&sz=37&hl=tl&start=27&tbnid=dxYCt3_K-c3wpM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dandroid%2B%2Banswering%2Bthe%2Bphone%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dtl%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN) taking my calls. You can't get in a word edgewise. All you have to do is lamely say yes.

Example: I dial 7378000. Voice answers: Magandang umaga po. Ito po si Gia. Eto ba si " she mentions my name" ng "she mentions my address" and then without breathing proceeds to ask "pareho pa rin ba ang o-orderin niyo, yung 11.5 kg na de salpak?" I lamely say "yes" and then she resumes her script again "Paki-expect na lang within the day. maraming salamat po."

Example: I dial 8-mcdo. I start ordering and am interrupted, "phone number please." After I give it the voice on the other end rattles off my name, address, landmarks i'd given before, and then asks, "Black pa rin ba yong gate?" When I say yes, she then proceeds to ask, "May I take your orders now?"

Same with Shakey's, Jollibee, etc.

what peeves me, especially when I'm in a hurry or using my cell phone, is that they take so long. I get so stressed that my orders will arrive when the guests I ordered for will have left, or my call cost will be so much.

Oh for the old times when real people answered the phone. Even a priest acquaintance said as much when after he called the school to which he is attached an answering machine answered giving him choices and the final choice, "or stay on the line for assistance". Then he had to wait for an eternity for a human voice. Sometimes that didn't materialize and all that did was a busy tone.

No comments: