Thursday, August 16, 2007

Oratio Imperata Ad Petendam Pluviam

Weeks ago, after the weather bureau announced a drought, Cardinal Rosales came up with a prayer he pleaded the parishes of the Archdiocese of Manila to pray. I could never catch the exact name of the prayer he was speaking about and neither could my latest old phone pal. We laughed about that weakness on our part. It's Oratio Imperata Ad Petendam Pluviam.

Last night, when Tina M. Palma and Vicky Morales broadcast that the Cardinal had asked the parishoners to stop praying the said prayer, they had smiles on their faces, obvious signs that the request amused them. And so it does my old friend and me. the prayers did not only yield rains but two typhoons and floods! How's that for prayers' being answered?

Now the Cardinal is saying we should pray for the "protection of the environment from floods and landslides" which are occasional impacts of floods and typhoons. Wonder how God will answer the people's prayers this time. I, for one, hope the floods will leave our premises. They are annoying to say the least, so I pray they go away. Doing so reminds me to pray for the others to be spared of the ill effects of too much rain and super typhoons.

No comments: