Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Unexpected Treats

This a.m., though I needed all the time I could to do my work, as a housewife and mother I had no choice but to leave it for a spell to do the groceries. Which I did. At the supermarket I frequent, there was this rack of sandals that showed 40% off. I saw Maid C looking at the sandals longingly. She kept getting the pinkish red one and I asked how much it was. She said P395. Then I thought at 40% off, sige, I'll get it for her son in the province. She was elated. I kept asking her whether she was sure the color was it because her son is male. She gave in to me and looked for another color but I saw how attached she was to the red one so I let her be. As we went down the aisles, I told her to ask if the tag on the sandals was 40% off already. She went off and came back after quite a time. She was told that the sale had ended. She said it was too expensive and returned the sandals.

But I'm tenacious, remember? And though she had said that she had asked the manager and her assistant re the price, when we chanced upon the manager, I asked if the sandals were on sale. He said he'd check after verifying that I was interested. He took a while. I didn't mind the wait because there were purchases to be made. When we next saw him he said "sige ma'am, bibigay ko na sa sale price." I will not moralize or comment on the matter. But there was one happy mother there, I'm sure. I hope the lola will take a picture of the son so the mother will be happier.

While at the grocery, saw a former maid of mine with her unsmiling daughter who just had her tooth pulled. I saw her holding mushrooms and then some. I asked what she was going to cook. See aside from tenacious I'm also nosy. She said "spaghetti." O-ha she has more sophisticated ingredients in her spaghetti than I do. I put mushrooms in mine only if there's an open can in the fridge. But there she was buying mushrooms for spaghetti. Her husband works in a hardware shop. Caught her checking out her stuff and asked how much. I gave her money.

Wait. Lest you think I'm recounting the above to show off, to tell the world how generous I am, you're wrong. Through the recounting I'd like to tell you how God blesses us a hundredfold.

At around 2 p.m., while I was working in the sala because I was feeling antsy in the bedroom (bed is not directly hit by the cold air from the aircon), the doorbell rang. When the maid came in she had a Nike plastic bag. I thought it was from my most generous sister but no, it was from a friend. NDP, daughter of NVD. What was in the plastic bag? CHicken galantina with gravy. A quarter of a whole chicken. No occasion. Just like that. I was flabbergasted. When I texted her, she said that she had given the same amount to her mom, the renowned NVD.

Tonight, husband asked my son to join him at the wake of a fellow teacher who had been my son's swimming instructor one summer. At first I said I'd join them because I knew that teacher too. Then I realized I hadn't blown-dry my hair when it was wet and thought it would look a mess. Plus I was working. So I said I wouldn't join them after all.

I didn't incur God's wrath for that decision. WHen they came back, they had for me Seattle's Best javakula brownies. Plus the info that the wake was on the second floor of a building in UP.

God works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform.

**********

Eek, as I reread the post above, I grimaced. How utterly stupid. "because her son was male." what a duh thing to write. sorry, sorry, sorry. Blush.

No comments: