Friday, April 10, 2009

Visita Iglesia ala Driving Miss Daisy





Years back, many, many years back, we watched Driving Miss Daisy and I was so bored and wondered what it was all about as miss daisy and her driver drove on and on and on, talking sometimes.

Holy Thursday, we set out to do our Visita Iglesia in the Rizal towns. Since it was almost 12 noon, we decided to have lunch first. But it wasn't to be.

We stopped at Balaw-balaw to find it closed as did 2 other cars that arrived the same time we did. So we drove on, I thought in search of food. I namedropped Andok's lechon manok, but driver didn't react as he drove on. I glanced at the view around me to keep me entertained and succeeded. I ignored the churning I heard my tummy declare as I looked at houses on either side of the road and whatever there was to see. I sang along with the songs from husband's IPOD. Songs sung by the likes of Jam Morales, Joey Albert, Ric Segreto, Basil Valdez, Hajji Alejandro. You get the drift. Downloaded through Torrens (torrents?)

As we drove mostly along the highway we didn't see any churches. then we reached Binangonan. Saw a church but as husband was driving way too fast, instead of stopping at the church, he drove on and we reached the fish port. Beautiful sight. Very clean. Credit goes to whom? Governor Ynares? People boarded bancas or bigger, as did goods. Where were they headed? To some island? After the port, we merely followed the road, no questions asked, no answers forthcoming. Drive, drive, drive. Husband said the people seemed to be wondering why there was a car passing them by. And why not? Rather than cars we saw motorcycles, trikes, and a rare 4-wheeled vehicle. Finally, husband stopped to ask as son said "papa, dead end na ata." We were going the wrong way. I had said "stop and ask". He said "what will I ask?" Finally we did and were told to drive back past the port to reach the highway. It was almost 2 pm and my tummy had grown tired of rumbling, grumbling, whatever.

Finally, we saw a church: St. Jerome in _____. I can't recall. Lack of oxygen in the brain deprives one of memory, okay, leads to temporary amnesia. whose theory? A hungry tummy's.

As we approached the gate, a man told us we couldn't enter and to drive to the other side. So we headed for that direction. husband told another man long before we reached the gat there that I was in a wheelchair. He said, honest he did, "there are stairs in the other side." And take this, this was an oldish man. I don't think he had missed lunch because he was a local. possibly he lived close by. As we went to the area near the steps, it was apparently impossible for me to go to the church. So husband took another chance, approached the gate. This time, a young man, a teen with a hairband and a plastic bag with an orange drink approached us. Husband explained my predicament. He opened the gate (note second man had earlier said the gate was broken and couldn't be opened, leading me to wonder how a big bus got into the church grounds). As kind young man opened the gate which was apparently working, an old man told him not to. he explained my predicament and smiled at me. I prayed for blessings for him as we waited for the big bus to exit. It was a tourist bus with visita iglesia tourists. No, not Koreans.

After parking, we wheeled up to the church. I was impressed. There were so many "caros" of this or that scene from Jesus's passion and death. I'll post some pictures. I counted maybe more than 20 caros. And the church was spacious and clean. Stained glass windows and all.

After a while, we went back to the car and I thought, maybe we could find food na because at least we had gone to one church. Husband heard me mention Andok's after all, because he said "let's look for an Andok's." Instead we found Jollibee so he didn't stop. Driving Miss Daisy mode again. This time we stopped in Baras. this church holds memories. Maybe son was 3 or 4 years old when we last went there. I recall a picture of his sitting on the steps that had a few blades of grass on them alternating with barren soil. He was with his yaya and he was holding my stations of the cross missallette. So after they took pictures while I stayed in the car, I insisted that a picture of his be taken on the steps. Someday those two pictures will see each other. (Read: I'm too lazy to look for the old one.)

AFter the second church, husband said we'd stop and eat, Jollibee na kung Jollibee. Then I thought, Chow King kaya? Usually they're beside each other. This time they were across and there was a car backing out of CK so we decided to get food there and eat in the car. Siomai, siopao, their value meals. I wasn't choosy anymore. Hours earlier, I'd see people chewing and wanted to ask, "pwede makikain?" Or "ano ulam niyo?" Son went down to order, than husband followed. So he told son who wanted to go to the washroom to do so after son placed our orders. SOn left. Apparently, cashier asked husband to repeat son's orders. Son went back to me in the car.

waiting time was long, it would have been quicker in Jollibee. When our orders arrived, son's chao fan with spring roll was nowhere to be found. I told him to go back to CK and he did, only to grumpily return to the car to say the lines were too long. This was almost 3 pm. He decided to cross over to Jollibee, bought burger and fries and a drink. After he ate a little of that, he ate one of my kikiams and rice. (See, I didn't protest that the chicken I thought I had ordered was chicken kikiam, 3 pieces. I thought all along, steamed chicken like hainanese. asa pa ako.) But everything tasted so good (that's how hungry I was). I ate 4 pieces of siomai, one slice of kikiam, half a siopao and I even drank coke zero without protesting. Bait ko pala pag gutom basta may kaharap na na pagkain.

After CK, Driving Miss Daisy again. Goal: Laguna, maybe two towns. Mabitac was our first stop. Oh, before reaching Mabitac, I saw Kawayan Farm that looked enticing - read, clean. And it had a sign that screamed "bulalo". Remember how posts back I was so disappointed we didn't eat in Josephine's tagaytay or any bulalo place? So I hinted and got no reaction again. I hinted again, silence. On to Mabitac after kilometers of beautiful scenery - lush trees, mangoes hanging on them. when we finally reached MAbitac, following the road that led to the church, the sign read "126 steps". What a laugh. How would an old priest deal with those steps? Or old parishoners?

we decided to follow the road and true enough, there was a way that was without steps. I decided to stay put in the car and took pictures. I'll post them later, I hope. Then I made friends with some young boys there who volunteered to watch the car. I asked if there was a gas station somewhere. See, the driving worried me - were we running low on gas? Half tank, husband assured. But I recalled our drive to Ilocos that was similar to this drive up Laguna in the sense that there were no gas stations around. Scary to say the least. Young boy said "meron, flying v" I asked if it was far. He assured it was near. I said "walang petron?" He said "meron." I was so relieved that I decided to give him some coins and my candies in my bag that brought a smile to his face and some companions running to him as we left.

Great, there was indeed a FLying V and before long, Petron. After Petron, it being past 4, we decided to head home. Husband asked, "where's the bulalo thing"? So I watched out for it and we stopped by! Hooray. But guess what? There was no more bulalo, their house specialty. They had run out as early as the morning. Arrgh. So we asked what else was available."Tinolang manok, native; caldereta; kare-kare; sisig; laing, etc." For takeout, I ordered tinola, caldereta (beef) and sisig. I was excited to try provincial food as we drove on. When we reached a certain junction, policemen pointed us to a certain street, no questions asked. I think they thought everyone wanted to go to the church in Antipolo because that's the direction to which we were headed without our meaning to. But it was late so we decided to move on. Except that we got lost. SO we asked and were told that instead of using the road that would pass Assumption, we should take Ortigas. we did. And it was Driving Miss Daisy again. such a long way but we saw people trekking up to Antipolo.

Finally we hit Libis and home.

Some observations: In the small towns we passed, life seemed to go on as usual - it didn't seem like Holy Week as markets were open selling the usual goods. Charcoal and firewood are available along the highway leading to and from Laguna. So are vinegar and some sweets.

My mind is wandering. I'll add some more if I remember anything.

1 comment:

C said...

St. Jerome is in Morong. =D