Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Benjamin

Dale hasn't been gone a week (he passed away 19 March) but his vet advised we get a "replacement" and so I began the search for one. A friend who knew Dale said a relative had a half-breed lab that was really ugly, did we want it? She also had an askal who was pretty, did we want it? Then she said a relative had a lab for sale, did we want it?

Initially, husband and I were inclined to get the free half-breed and it wouldn't have been too difficult to check him out as he stays in a house along a street just perpendicular to ours. But son said he'd be big-- and son wanted a dog he could bring inside the house. So subconsciously, we didn't get round to checking HB out.

Last Sunday, aware that the Manila Bulletin has classified ads galore, I got a copy. I don't get MB precisely for that reason - too many ads. But last Sunday, I did for the same reason I avoid it. I called just one number, the rest were cellphone numbers and I was too lazy to text and it would have been too expensive to call. The one who took my call said to call again Monday as there wasn't anyone in the office. I was taken aback there, but oddly, I called Monday. Again the one who knew about the puppies was out, could I text that person instead? THe lady also informed me the dog was in Alfonso Cavite. What? SO where was the number I was calling? Quezon City, I was told. COuldn't the dog be brought over? She said to get in touch with the cellphone number she gave. I did.

The dog available was a beagle. Before long, the man I spoke with sent a picture through the cell. Three pictures in fact. He agreed to get the puppy from Cavite provided I was sure to buy the puppy. I promised I would. Our date was Tuesday.

Tuesday he sent a video. He was in Cavite. But it was the video of a different dog, not the mostly white with brown spots. This time it was the mostly brown (they call it lemon) with a few areas of white. I asked him about it and he said he had sent the pictures of Alice. He apologized. And he asked if I still wanted to get the puppy. I said yes.

So now we have Benjamin, a beagle born 24 December 2008. And one of his vaccinations took place on my birthday. And we got him yesterday, 3 months after he was born and on the 31st death anniversary of my mother and my brother's 36th death anniversary.

Husband picked him up by himself and while at first he was seated beside my husband, along the way he jumped onto my husband's lap and stayed there till they got home. Son texted while in the resto to ask if doggie was at home. I said yes. He swooned when he saw Benjamin finally and set out looking for something for Benjamin to sleep on. we got one of our old pillows and put atop it an old, tattered towel. Not content, my son looked for another tattered towel to serve as blanket for Benjamin. And so he slept. Soundly. Peacefully.

This morning he had his first breakfast in the house. Guess what he eats per the breeder? Raw chicken wings and neck. I asked the maid if they had any, she said they did. But the neck had no more skin. Guess why?

Breathe deeply before reading: for the past almost 9 years this maid has been with me, week in and week out, she removes the skin of the chicken and throws it away because it is too fatty. My gulay. What a waste. I asked, "Didn't you even think of offering it to me so I could have chicken skin chicharon?" she shook her head. That's how thoughtful she is. Darn. What a waste. To think so many people go hungry, and there she is throwing away chicken skin. I mean, wow.

No comments: