Friday, July 18, 2008

Sweet Dreams Are Made of These

So goes the first line of an eighties song. And what am I referring to?

The series of surprises sprung on me by friends, relatives,even the friend of my son. The list in random order:

1. Roli's sate babi - 3orders direct from Bacolod, skewers removed, with sate rice. Heaven. From my favorite female cousin, mama's side who planed in a few weeks ago. Thanks gid ha.

2. Atis - two installments, sweet, very sweet literally and figuratively. And a box of krispy kreme donuts and a buddy pack of meiji chocolates I haven't dipped my hand into yet and what else? Sa dami I can't remember. From my favorite Taytay confidante, my future wedding inaanak (pagawa na naman ako ng gown? anong color? pwede replay? joke lang, for you a new gown.)

3.a bottle of Bath and Body Works hand soap from my son's friend from his singing group. I love this boy -- gentle, soft-spoken but always alert and patient with my questions. Ang bait talaga. One morning he sent a message via multiply that he was giving me something, he posted a picture of it. But stupid me thought the picture was it -- these days that's done, di ba? Then when my son came home from practice that night, it was the hand soap in the flesh. I felt like a fool, but a happy, touched, sentimental old fool. My husband and son were wondering why the gift when there was no occasion. All these years they haven't learned about spontaneous thoughtful gestures from me? Duhh. Just kidding. But such gestures really brighten one's day -- the giver's as well as the recipient's, right? Oh well, I'll have to teach them some more by example. Or maybe the examples number so many they no longer notice? Hmmm...

4. Puto - yesterday, my tummy was grumbling but I didn't know what to eat. Dyspepsia symptoms? Motilium then? Nah. As I typed on while wondering what to eat, the doorbell rang. In came the maid with a black plastic container with very white PUTO. Courtesy of my sister. Yahoo.

5. Filipinos. Have you eaten brown Filipinos? White Filipinos? Dark Filipinos? Whaaattt? Canniba!!!! Have you forgotten how years back a ruckus was raised against a confectionery for naming his chocolate creations "FILIPINOS"? Back then I asked my friend who was traipsing the world to get me one of each flavor - Chew and that friend know why--my husband likes dark, my son white, I like milk chocolate. But she failed to find any. Today, the sister who brought me puto gave me a pack of brown Filipinos from another sister who just planed in from Spain and the US. I surmise she got it from the former as the blurb on the pack is in Espanol.

So have I eaten a Filipino? Not yet because I want to take my first bite with my husband and son, neither of whom is here now. The son is out in a GK village teaching a first year high school student for NSTP in lieu of ROTC. Husband is working hard at keeping fit. So maybe I should spare him an added ounce by depriving him of a Filipino. Whatchathink?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The puto came from Negros also? Doesn't it spoil?

So how does a Filipino taste like? LOL.

antonette said...

The puto didn't come from Negros. It's the leafless kind sold in paper bags near White Plains.

Would you believe I haven't tried the Filipino yet? Son not feeling well, so no appetite. When son is sick, mother is sad so no appetite too. Hopefully soon we'll be better. Then we'll devour the Filipinos.