Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bothersome Occurrences, ok CRIMES

A few days ago, a cousin called to tell me that in a waiting shed in one university campus, three girls were robbed of their laptops one night at knife-point. The alleged holdupper even raised his shirt to reveal a gun tucked under his pants. Wondering why the girls were with their laptops in the waiting shed? Wonder no more.

The three girls are dormers of a campus dorm. Thing is the Internet signal in their dorm is weak if it is available at all. So they wandered off outside to find a signal and found it under the waiting shed, only to be divested of their laptops.

***************

Yesterday as my son sat in front of his laptop, he muttered, "nanakawan si xxxx. Binasag ang bintana ng kanyang kotse sa Esteban Abada kung saan siya nag park para makabili sa National (in Katipunan)." Guess what were taken? A calculator and an Accounting book.

I find that very cruel: to break the window of a car to get a calculator which costs less than P500 and a book costing less than a P1000? who might have use for either or both? Another student? A professional thief won't get much from such an intrusion and would know better. Or did the thief think he'd find a laptop? Darn, darn, darn...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no! Don't tell me they come from the same dorm where my niece is? I must warn her. She did say that the signal in their dorm is lousy.

Anyway, stealing laptops seems to be the latest fad(?). In the school where I now work, an employee was aghast when she returned one morning and discovered her laptop missing. The thief entered via a bathroom window. So now the officials are thinking of installing CCTV and alarms.

Hay, these are signs of the times.

But I agree with you about the accounting book and calculator. That's downright insane! Once, I parked in front of McDo (right before the very eyes of the security guard). Unfortunately, my colleague left her things inside the car - books, calculator and a small bag containing her IDs and some things but nothing really valuable. They broke my window just to get it. And that was my father's Mercedes Benz! Ouch!

antonette said...

Right, that's the dorm where she stays. But I guess, she knows about that incident na.

Re the Mercedes Benz's window, te, kay MB ang car! Marissa before drove this Ford (I forgot the model) that was a bit run down. We went to Greenhills. When we returned to the car, it was as we left it though she hadn't locked it. She laughingly said, "I'm insulted." Pero I'm sure she was relieved.